Report Card Lost or Stolen

Report your lost / stolen card online at the myKU portal.

If your KU Card has been lost or stolen, it should be deactivated immediately via the myKU portal (login, click the Finances tab and then choose the Web Card Center link), or by calling 785-864-5845 or visiting the Card Center during business hours (M-F, 8:00am-4:30pm). If you have deactivated your KU Card and then find it, you can login to the myKU portal and reactivate it if you have not already received a replacement card.



KU Card services will be unavailable on Saturday, October 10, 10:00 a.m. until Monday October 12, 10:00 a.m. while our vendor upgrades the CS Gold system.  You will not be able to add money to your KU Card or use Beak ‘Em Bucks off-campus, nor will you be able to use Beak ‘Em Bucks or your KU Cuisine Cash for pizza delivery.  Campus card readers will work in off-line mode if they are set up to do so and transactions will queue up and connect once the system is back online.  Door access readers will work in off-line mode, but no changes/updates will take affect while the system is down.  Thank you for your understanding.

Why KU
  • One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
  • 26 prestigious Rhodes Scholars — more than all other Kansas colleges combined
  • Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
  • 46 nationally ranked graduate programs.
    —U.S. News & World Report
  • Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
  • 23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times