First KU Card
Students: You must be admitted and registered for the current semester to be eligible for a KU ID Card.
Employees: An active employment status must appear in the HR system. This typically takes a couple days after the employee’s new hire information is entered and a record is established.**
- Set your notification preference
- Submit your photo for your KU ID card (further instructions below)
- Upload your current proof of identification. Expired ID is not accepted.
- Driver’s License
- State ID
- Passport/Passport Card
- Military ID
- Green Card
- Tribal Card
- You will be notified if your photo was approved/denied and how you will get your KU ID card.
- Once your photos has been accepted and card printed the charge will be applied to your account.**
**For employees who are changing status that requires a new card, please upload your new photo as well as complete a replacement form under the "Replace A Card" tab. On the replacement form please indicate in the comments section you are applying for a new card with a different status to avoid any charges for a new card. Please be clear in naming the reason for new card. Examples: Student to Employee, Retiree or 4 year replacement.**
- Photo Guidelines & Tips
- Uploading Your Photo **(All photos used must be in JPEG format)**
- Uploading Your Identification
Photo Guidelines & Tips
- Please use either a solid White or KU Blue background.
- There are apps available for both iPhones and Android devices (search for "photo background remover")
- Face straight ahead. The forehead, eyes, nose, mouth, and chin must be visible
- Full head and upper shoulders/chest should be centered in the middle of image. (Do not cut off top of head or cut off at throat)
- Present a pleasant look or smile
- If you wear reading glasses, please take steps to ensure there is no glare and that eyes are visible through the lens.
- No sunglasses or glasses that are too dark
- No caps, hats, or headbands should be worn
- Head coverings are allowed for religious purposes, but no face-covering veils.
- The final photo will be square. You can crop this ahead of time or crop it after uploading your photo through the site
- Photos will be approved in the same manner as a driver’s license or passport
Getting Your Card
- Login to the KU Card Web Card Center
- Click Notification Preferences
- Add your Email and or Phone Number and click "Save" (this will alert you when your photo has been approved).
- Click "Submit ID Photo"
- Click "Upload Photo"
- Upload your photo by clicking "Choose File" (language may differ depending on your web browser)
- Drag and outline the crop tool to crop your image (if needed), and click "Submit"
- Click "Submit" to submit your photo for approval
Uploading Your Identification
- Login to the KU Web Card Center
- Click "Submit ID Photo"
- Click "Upload ID"
- Upload a photo of your identification. Please provide an image of either: your driver’s license, State ID, passport/ passport card, military ID, Green Card or Tribal Card.
- Crop the image to an appropriate size so that the entire ID is within the photo, and click "Submit"
- You should now see your ID in the "Submit ID Photo" page